Title: Administrative and Finance Assistant, Shangri La
Location: 4055 Papu Circle, Honolulu, HI
Reports to: Deputy Director
Status: Full Time – Non Exempt
Shangri La is a museum for learning about the global culture of Islamic art and design through innovative exhibitions, guided tours, public programs and digital initiatives. Built in 1937 as the Honolulu home of American heiress and philanthropist Doris Duke (1912-1993), Shangri La was inspired by Duke’s extensive travels throughout North Africa, the Middle East and South Asia and reflects architectural traditions from those regions. The permanent collection features objects from Spain, Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Iran, Central Asia, India and parts of Southeast Asia. Shangri La is a program of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation through the Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant performs a wide variety of support activities to ensure the efficient operation across all departments at Shangri La. The individual in this role assists management by fulfilling tasks related to office administration, accounting, procurement, program planning, executive support and other tasks as assigned. The Administrative and Finance Assistant also serves as Shangri La’s primary point of contact for general inquiries from the public, partners and vendors.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
General Office Assistance: Maintain a smoothly functioning office environment through attentive, efficient, orderly and accurate handling of supplies, filing systems, tech equipment (computers, phones, Xerox), inventories, memberships and subscriptions, deliveries, incoming and outgoing mail and calls/inquiries, dissemination of updates and notifications to staff, the public, volunteers, and vendors, calendaring, welcoming and attending to onsite visitors and partners, etc.
Budgeting, procurement, accounting and contracting: Participate in the development and monitoring of the Shangri La budget, including procurement and contracting procedures. Utilize current accounting and procurement software applications to input purchasing and payment information, generate purchase orders and expense reports. Identify, establish and manage relationships and contractual agreements with vendors; make purchasing decisions; establish and maintain business accounts.
Partner and Vendor Relations: Assist in the development and maintenance of strategic partnerships with a variety of organizations and vendors. Examples include the Honolulu Museum of Art, local technical support companies, silent auction requests and processing.
Executive Office Support: Conduct research, create spreadsheets, draft presentations and written communications/reports in support of annual strategic and business operations. On behalf of the Executive Director/Deputy Director, manage inquiries, schedules, correspondences and special visits to Shangri La.
Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or Deputy Director.
– Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent relevant work experience required;
– 2+ years relevant experience required;
– Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office, databases, email and internet research required, plus competency and comfort with basic office technology;
– Ability to master computerized accounting/procurement systems;
– Proven competence managing budgetary allowances and restrictions;
– Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
– Team-player mentality to work cooperatively and positively with colleagues, partners, consultants and a diverse public;
– Self-starter with ability to take initiative, work independently and make informed decisions; good business acumen;
– Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
– Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail;
– Versatility and ability to manage many projects and priorities simultaneously;
– Ability to operate office equipment, including phone system, fax and photocopying machines, scanner, shredder, etc.;
– Ability to physically perform duties that require standing, walking and sitting for extended periods of time; traversing the five-acre property with uneven terrain; negotiating flights of stairs; lifting and carrying as much as 25 lb.;
– Friendly and professional presence and demeanor;
– Ability to keep matters confidential;
– Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
HOW TO APPLY
Application reviews will begin September 25, 2017 and continue until position is filled.
All interested parties should send:
– Cover letter outlining how you satisfy the desirable qualifications and functions
– Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org Include “Admin Assistant” and your last name in the subject line
– Fax: 808-732-4361 Reference “Admin Assistant” on your cover page
– Do not apply in person
– No phone calls please
It is the policy of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to afford equal employment opportunity to all individuals, and we firmly adhere to the equal employment opportunity requirements of all States and localities in which we operate.