The Collections Technician is responsible for assisting the Collections Manager in the care and maintenance of collections within the division or department, and their associated records; assists with supervision of volunteer activities; carries out activities associated with collection use to provide access.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assists the staff, lay and public in safe collections access to facilitate and control use, and responds to inquires to provide accurate and appropriate information.
· Assists with the processing of collections to ensure that additions to and deletions are in accordance with Museum and department policies and procedures, and federal and state law.
· Participates in the identification, recording, and organization of the collections according to departmental and disciplinary standards to enhance access and retrieval of materials for study and exhibition.
· Assists with the planning, arrangement, and maintenance of storage systems, monitors and controls environmental conditions, and appropriately secures the collection to ensure the physical welfare of the collections and associated records.
· Works with collections staff to develop and maintains retrieval systems to enhance access to and use of the collections, and associated information.
· May supervise the work of collections interns and/or volunteers on specific projects.
· Performs other duties, as assigned, to accomplish the goals of the Museum.
· 1-2 years prior experience working with collections preferred.
· Ability to communicate clearly in writing and verbally.
· Hawaiian language proficiency preferred.
· Computer-literate, ability to use/learn various computer applications.
· Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently.
· Ability to maintain composure when working under time constraints and to meet deadlines.
· Flexibility in working hours, as some evening and weekend work is required.
· Professional business-like appearance.
· Good attendance.
Hours: Full-time, some weekends and evenings required.
Deadline to apply: December 1, 2017