About Kona Historical Society
The Kona Historical Society (KHS) is a community based, non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization, Smithsonian Museum affiliate, with the only two permanent National Endowment for the Humanities exhibits in the State of Hawai‘i. Kona Historical Society was founded in 1976 on Hawai‘i Island for the purpose of collecting, preserving and disseminating the history of Kona and its cultural heritage within Hawai‘i.
Museum Program Staff
Museum program staff provide visitor services and historical interpretation at Kona Historical Society’s Kona Coffee Living History Farm. Program staff help create meaningful and relevant connections between visitors and Kona coffee’s history and culture. This position requires a high level of interaction with the public, including local community members and tourists from the US and abroad. Typical responsibilities of program staff may include orienting and directing visitors, conducting retail sales, demonstrating traditional farm chores, “talking story” about the daily life of Kona’s coffee pioneers, and assisting with general maintenance and upkeep of farm land and structures.
This position is part time and typically fills shifts on weekdays; however, staff may be asked to fill the occasional weekend shift. Hours range 6-20 hours per weeks and may be adapted to the right candidate’s schedule.
- Ability to communicate effectively and enthusiastically
- Ability to provide high quality customer service
- Ability to perform basic farm maintenance and upkeep, possibly including the demonstration of traditional farm chores
- Willingness to work outside
- Willingness to learn new skills and share those skills with visitors
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Knowledge of Kona, Hawaii history, local traditions, and coffee farming preferred
- Ability to speak Japanese is a huge plus
How to apply:
Please send resume and a brief description about why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Museum Program Staff” in the subject line. Selected applicants will be contacted. Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, we are unable to respond to all phone calls and emails regarding the status of applications and recruiting process.