In collaboration with the Archaeology Collections Manager, the Program Manager is responsible for administering the care and maintenance of collections and associated records from projects carried out on Bishop Estate/KS lands in the Anthropology Department. The Program Manager supervises intern activities and manages activities associated with collections processing and interpretation.
Duties and Responsibilities Include
- Maintains overall responsibility for operations of the collaborative Bishop Museum-Kamehameha Schools Archaeological Collections Curation Program.
- Supervises and coordinates training and work of collections interns and encourages their professional development to manage the collections efficiently and effectively.
- Works with collections staff to supervise and participate in identification, recording, and organization of collections according to departmental and disciplinary standards to enhance access and retrieval of materials for study and exhibition.
- Assists with the planning, arrangement, and maintenance of project storage systems and appropriately secures the collections.
- Works with collections staff to develop and maintain retrieval systems to enhance access to and use of the collections, and associated information.
- Maintains communications with relevant Kamehameha Schools staff members at all times and prepares formal reports.
- Assists with the development of content for exhibitions.
- Develops and carries out public outreach initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Digital Developer, prepares content and assists with designing online database components.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Anthropology/Archaeology or a related field.
- Prior experience working with collections and/or other museum experience preferred.
- Expertise in Hawaiian archaeology.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Experience supervising and/or managing small teams of people preferred.
- Ability to maintain composure when working under time constraints and to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility in working hours, as some evening and weekend work is required.
- Professional business-like appearance.
- Good attendance.
Hours: M-F, some weekends and evenings
Deadline to Apply: October 27, 2017